Tuesday, September 29, 2009

KEMBRA PFAHLER AND THE VOLUPTUOUS HORROR OF KAREN BLACK

KEMBRA PFAHLER AND THE VOLUPTUOUS HORROR OF KAREN BLACK

Kembra Pfahler is a multimedia artist who is an icon in NYC. Her band is The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black. I first saw her perform in the late 90's and I was blown away. It was like sexy Witchy-Poo from Puff'n Stuff meets Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia. Her look is so inspirational. From the body paint to the black teeth to the 6 wigs covered in glitter to the Wednesday Addams School Girl clothes she is Flawless. When she is joined by the rest of the girls of Karen Black it becomes an unholy stage show of such immense counter cultural gravity that I just want to scream "Hail Satan" at the top of my lungs(think Rosemary's Baby). If you ever have the opportunity to see her, the band, or the girls on stage or in a gallery run, don't walk, to the venue.


















1 comment:

  1. I finally did it...I started obcessing about Kembra,again,sometime yesterday,and today I made an appointment with my tattoo artist and had Kembra from the cover of the "Anti-Naturalists" tattooed on my right arm.
    I have days when I cannot get enough Kembra,I am constantly wanting more and more and there is really very little online.Well also I get very aggravated with the whole myspace thing too..since I'm so lo tech,and I haven't looked for Kembra there.
    Is this odd behavior coming from a queer man? Oh well Kembra Pfahler makes me deliriously happy and I've always been down with the odd so...wtf.

    ReplyDelete